I know... it's been awhile. I guess I've kind of given up on LiveJournal for the time being. Whether it's permanent or not, I don't know. I think my posts and all of the stuff I put into them just became a bit of a hassle and more trouble than they were worth to me, especially since I was no longer getting comments.
Instead, I'm making the jump to Tumblr, and I can now be seen here at Just Derek on Tumblr
. I suppose this signals the impending doom of Tumblr.
What a week. My vertigo has been in full force the past couple of days, and yesterday morning I had a surprise when I awoke to discover my neck and shoulder in excruciating pain. Seems I aggravated my old grade 8 high jump injury, the one that snapped my neck pinching a nerve in my shoulder and partially paralyzing my left arm. My arm was useless yesterday, and while it's slightly better today, my grip is still very weak. It was only just a couple years ago that the last of the weakness and numbness in my left arm and hand left. It's a bit disconcerting to have it back.
Since I now have both vertigo and pain in my neck and shoulder, I'm continuing to spend this week in bed watching DVDs. I only just popped online briefly to check some things and to earmark this journal entry, which I'll finish in a day or two (Note:
I'm now finishing this journal today, Saturday October 6th).
Since it was shipped on the weekend from Toronto just 5 or 6 hours away, I expected my Medusa
mini bust to arrive on Tuesday. It took a couple of days extra, but it finally arrived this morning. I'm just glad I found the parcel nestled outside of my apartment door, and that it wasn't thrown at door from the ground floor. Given my wonky left arm this week, I was terrified that the delivery guy who's fond of throwing parcels would deliver it, buzz the apartment, and throw it at me to catch when I opened the door. That didn't happen, thankfully.► EW InsideTV: Parents group protests Oscars host Seth MacFarlane
- There's a shock.► EW InsideTV: Alec Baldwin says he offered to cut his salary for more '30 Rock'
- I still think it sucks that NBC
is canceling the series
.► Vulture: Chris Carter Is Working on a New Sci-Fi Show
- Given how The X-Files
slowly petered out over several convoluted and confusing years before it's final inevitable death, I just can't get excited about this.► DeviantART: Harry Potter: The 7 Stages of Denial
- That sounds right.► 9gag: Zombies are Coming! An awesome family halloween photo shoot
- Cute. Disturbing, but cute.► 9gag: Borrow my pen?
- I actually wouldn't mind having these pens. They amuse me.► TotalProSports: Michelle Jenneke Performs Her Sexy Pre-Race Dance Routine In The Rain (GIF)
- She's back
! Now if I could just find the video for this GIF...
Quote of the MomentAngie:
That is a bridge too far. That’s right, I read WWII history, mother**bleep**.- 30 Rock (2006)Watching:
Monk: Season 3 (DVD set);Last Watched:
Monk: Season 1 (DVD set); Monk: Season 2 (DVD set);
- Tags:30 rock, 9gag, alec baldwin, animated gifs, babes, brunette, controversy, cool stuff, deviantart, family, geek culture, halloween, harry potter, mail, medical things, medusa, my childhood, oscars, pain, sci fi, sexy, sick, sports, statue, teenagers, tv, tv shows, zombies
After a couple of weeks break I suddenly have a few things on order, most of which should be in the mail now, if not soon. They are:
► Hot Toys Superman Doll
► Bowen Medusa mini bust
► Black Widow/Avengers poster
► Elvira, Mistress of the Dark and Elvira's Haunted Hills DVDs
All of which I bought on Ebay. I'm still considering ordering Barney Miller: The Complete Series
DVD set as I finally paid off my credit card on the weekend. I'm going to try to wait until next week for that, but knowing me I'll probably end up ordering it from Amazon.ca
in the next few days.
The big deal for me is the Superman Hot Toys Doll
. I can hardly believe that I'm finally going to get it. The next couple of weeks will be a bit tough as I wait for the package in the mail.►
Lately Stormy seems to be knocking my Scarlett Johansson Black Widow standup
over with increasing frequency. No doubt solely for the attention it gets, as he probably quickly learned it annoys me to no end.► Collider: Final Poster for THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN – PART 2
- "Hey everybody, let's go jogging!"► IMDB: All Photos from The Lone Ranger
- More photos released for the upcoming Lone Ranger
movie. This thing is going to be either a brilliant reinvention of the characters and story
, or a horrific insult to everything good about it. I can't see it falling in between.► 9gag: Maze made of books
- I see this and all I can think of are the Collyer brothers
.► CBR: Todd McFarlane Sues Al Simmons Over "Spawn" Biography
must love lawyers.► Daily Superheroes: Behold, Bead Avengers!
- ...in Mega Man
- And then she made a hexaflexagon
so elaborate, her mind snapped.
Quote of the MomentSol Robeson:
There will be no order, only chaos.- Pi (1998)
- Tags:9gag, amazon, avengers, black widow, books, creepy, death, dolls, dvds, ebay, elvira, hoarding, johnny depp, legal crap, mail, math, medusa, movie posters, my cat, posters, scarlett johansson, science, statue, superman, the lone ranger, todd mcfarlane, twilight, video games, videos
...and the current vertigo bout continues. I really sincerely hope this isn't going to turn into a two month ordeal like I had last spring. This morning I seemed all right, but then I mostly stayed in bed watching DVDs so I didn't move much. That all changed in the afternoon when between sitting at the computer and moving around the apartment playing with the cat my dizziness increased dramatically. I spent most of the afternoon nauseous as a result. Luckily the nausea and dizziness seem to be slowly subsiding now, although I probably shouldn't make plans to get either a going away present.► 9gag: Creeps me out
- The most unsettling and horrifying Bert & Ernie
cosplay I've ever seen.► 9gag: Ace Ventura
- Ace Ventura
cosplay that amuses me.► Judith ann Braun: Symmetrical Procedures
isn't just for kindergarten.► Moviepilot: Ben Affleck Could Have Been Daredevil... Again!
is a movie that didn't deserve all the hate it got. I thought it was actually pretty good, and the director's cut version
on DVD is even better. I wouldn't have minded seeing Affleck
do another, although the idea of getting him to star in a reboot seems like it would have been counter productive if the point was to distance it from the 2003 film.► Archdukes, Cynicism, and World War I: Crash Course World History #36
- A fairly entertaining and informative rundown of WWI
, although the marginalization and dismissal of Canada's involvement
in a one line joke is rather disappointing given the actual importance of Canada's military. But yeah, Canada's "lame", whatever.
Quote of the MomentDenise:
I'm not a nympho, I'm not Mary Poppins either but I'm not a nympho.- Earthquake (1974)Drinking:
Monk: Season 1 (DVD set);
- Tags:9gag, art, artists, canada, casting, cosplay, creepy, daredevil, history, jim carrey, muppets, sesame street, sick, videos, war, world
► Wizard World Ohio
is over and John's back home. He sent me a scan of my Josie (from Josie and the PussycatsDan Parent
. I think it's swell!
Now it's just a matter of waiting for Robert Atkins
to send John my finished sketches so that John in turn can send me all of my drawings and tradepaperbacks. I figure it will be at least a month before I have any of this stuff in my hands.►
In what may be another example of my irresponsibility, using some of the money I received from a small savings that paid out this weekend I finally bought the Superman Hot Toys
doll. All of the websites that have it either just sold out or won't ship it outside of the continental US. Yesterday morning, however, I found a few copies on Ebay and bought one from a seller with a 100% rating on more than 1000 sales. After hemming and hawing all day I finally ordered it in the evening. I've wanted this doll for almost two years now, and simply could not pass up the opportunity to finally get it while I very briefly had the means.
I'm going to be anxiously awaiting this for the next couple of weeks.
► 9gag: This is the direction Tim Burton is heading in anyway.
- Actually, I'd like to see that movie.
Matt: There's a better one out there where Tim Burton makes a autobiography with Johnny Depp as Tim Burton► [Tumblr] it's brasstime: What if Spider-Man's superpower was...
Derek: he already made that movie, it's called Edward Scissorhands
- Christ, what a horrible thought. **shudder**► 9gag: Dad transforms son's wheelchair into halloween costume
- Well that's adorable and heartwarming.► Access Hollywood: Justin Bieber Gets Sick On Stage
- I was going to say "isn't that what he does everytime he performs?" but my friend Kai probably said it best when she said "He must have listened to his own music for the first time." We're horrible
.► Yahoo - OMG! Now: Yahoo! Exclusive: See Samuel L. Jackson in new pro-Obama ad ‘Wake the F*** Up’
- Just when I thought I had reached my limit for the US presidential election
, along comes Sam Jackson
to wake me the f*** up.
Quote of the MomentJor-El:
This is no fantasy - no careless product of wild imagination.- Superman (1978)Drinking:
- Tags:9gag, archie comics, celebrities, chat quotes, children, comic con, costumes, creepy, disabilities, dolls, ebay, funny links, gross things, halloween, insects, johnny depp, music, politics, samuel l jackson, sick, sketches, spider-man, superheroes, superman, tim burton, videos
It seems the mysterious vertigo I had earlier this year has returned. Yesterday when Dad was finally driving me back to my apartment after our outing I suddenly had a feeling of falling while sitting in the moving car. The sensation just suddenly overtook me and I was light headed and unbalanced for a few minutes. I chalked it up to my being hungry.
I didn't think anymore of it until this afternoon while watching a movie with Dean, I turned toward her and the world slanted for me. While I was able to finish the movie, I've been dizzy and unsteady since then. When I walk the ground feels like it's moving, and when I sit still it's as if I'm perched high up in the air and gently being pushed back and forth by firm winds.
Hopefully this won't last as long as my 2 month long bout in the spring.►
Day 2 of the Wizard World Ohio
comic convention is over, and it looks like I'm getting a crapload of tradepaperbacks. John and I have been sending emails back and forth and he's been keeping me up to date with the going ons. Friday night he arranged a sketch of Josie
from Josie and the Pussycats
for me by Archie Comics
artist Dan Parent
. Today, the focus turned to tradepaperbacks and I guess the quest for Val Kilmer
's autograph was sort of abandoned. That's fine, because I only considered it an unlikely possibility since I didn't want John to have to wait in a long line just for my sake. Also, he found a grand total of 10 tradepaperbacks for me, including 8 Showcase Presents
► Superman: Red Son
► Project Superpowers Volume 2 Chapter 1
► Showcase Presents The War That Time Forgot, Vol 1
► Showcase Presents Justice League of America, Vol 2
► Showcase Presents Justice League of America, Vol 3
► Showcase Presents Justice League of America, Vol 4
► Showcase Presents Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol 1
► Showcase Presents Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol 3
► Showcase Presents Brave and the Bold: Batman Team-Ups, Vol 2
► Showcase Presents Brave and the Bold: Batman Team-Ups, Vol 3
The biggest score for me are the Showcase Presents Brave and the Bold: Batman Team-Ups volumes
which are out of print and incredibly difficult to get now online. I'm going to have to look for Showcase Presents Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol 2
, Project Superpowers Volume 1
, and Project Superpowers Volume 2 Chapter 2
on Amazon or Ebay soon in order to fill up those gaps. There's still a little bit of my money left over, but it seems unlikely that John will be able to fill any of those missing volumes today. I think it might be best now to earmark the remaining money toward the inevitably huge shipping and handling cost when he mails everything in a month or so.
Not unless I can evilly convince him to look for something else for me... although I should let it go before I wear out my welcome.►
Matt: My Brother's 40th birthday party tonight► 9gag: Just Danny Trejo & Dove, and its Christmas version.
Matt: first major exposure to my family Elaine will have
Matt: I'ma scared
Derek: I'd pray for you, but I'm a godless heathen
- I just realized I've never seen Danny Trejo
smile before. It's slightly unsettling.► DC Comics: MULTIVERSITY Is Coming!
- Somewhere someone is looking at the page in this article and complaining that "they're totally ripping off that Watchmen movie
!" But yeah, Ted Kord
, baby!► Neatorama: Wesker & Son Resident Evil Human Butchery
- This sounds less like a Capcom Resident Evil
promotion and more like some kind of PETA
stunt.► ABC News: UFO or Lens Flare in Google Street View? You Decide
- ...or giant space nipple.► Gods of the Moon: Battleship: the movie: the game: the movie: the game: the comic: the title
- They forgot the Novel.► Huffington Post: Marion Cotillard's Stalker, Teresa Yuan, Pleads Guilty In New York Court
- I like how the article includes a handy phonetic pronunciation guide for Marion Cotillard
's surname: (koh-tee-YAR')► Nasa: NASA Rover Finds Old Streambed on Martian Surface
- It's an amazing discovery to be sure, but I think I've reached the point where the only thing that'll really surprise and perk my interest is if they find an old camp ground with discarded soda cans.► Yahoo News - The Sideshow: Stingray photobomb goes viral
- Is this a news article or an advertisement for the tourist spot? Am I the only one who feels sorry for the stingray in the photo? Minding your own business swimming around when some douche picks you up and drops you onto some hysterical broads.
Quote of the MomentYogurt:
Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs-the T-shirt, Spaceballs-the Coloring Book, Spaceballs-the Lunch box, Spaceballs-the Breakfast Cereal, Spaceballs-the Flame Thrower.- Spaceballs (1987)Drinking:
Monk: Season 1 (DVD set);Last Watched:
The Avengers (2012; again);
- Tags:actors, aliens, animals, archie comics, batman, blue beetle, celebrities, chat quotes, comic con, creepy, dc comics, dinosaurs, friends, games, google, grant morrison, gross things, justice league, language, legion of super heroes, money, names, nasa, news, peta, photography, relationships, religion, showcase, sick, sketches, space, superheroes, superman, tradepaperbacks, val kilmer, video games, war, watchmen, webcomics, wwii, zombies
Last night I actually got a good 7 hours of sleep as I'm finally crawling out of my recent insomnia rut. Though it did some good, it was offset by my waking up at 2:30am which meant I was dragging my ass when Dad picked me up midday to run errands. The outing, which was supposed to simply be to go to the comic book shop, Walmart and then my grandmother's place was turned into a crisscrossing tour of the city.
Despite all the running around I didn't buy any extraneous stuff such as DVDs. Given how much I have invested into my friend John finding stuff for me at the Wizard World Ohio
comic con this weekend, I didn't think I needed to really splurge.►
Earlier this evening I was looking for something in my overstuffed closet when Stormy slipped underfoot and wedged himself in behind the sliding door. When I bent down to scoop him out he suddenly jumped up and punched me in my left eye
. It was most unexpected. I'm just glad the little bugger had his claws sheathed.► 9gag: Found this at a fair booth.
- Now that's a threat.► 9gag: There is no lock
- Maybe I should put this on the outside of my bedroom door. Might help cut down on my sister's habit of knocking while
entering. How is a man supposed to relax in his own room and enjoy his porn?► CompletelySeriousComics: Canadian Problems
- I probably shouldn't have posted this. Sorry.► Kickstarter: World's Best Father 2013 Calendar by Dave Engledow
- I think this is hysterical.► Yahoo News: Nazi-Acquired Buddha Statue Came From Space
- Sometimes life just sounds like a comic book.► TVOvermind: NBC Making a Show Where Thomas Edison Fights Crime
- Wouldn't a more appropriate show be about Tesla
as a heroic inventor
as an evil criminal mastermind
And since when did Sherlock Holmes
not use a pistol?► CBR: Super Powered Teens Fight for Survival in Hopeless' "Avengers Arena"
- I guess someone at Marvel Comics
saw The Hunger Games
recently. Marvel never fails to latch onto any and all fads in the media and try to jump onto the bandwagon, whether or not it makes sense or even works. I'm expecting a comic delving into mutant S&M relationships
The "House of Ideas" my ass.► DeviantART: Nick Fury cosplay by MigraineSky
- If only I could dress Stormy up like this.
Nick Fury cosplay by ~MigraineSky on deviantART
Quote of the MomentMickey:
Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!- Rocky V (1990)Drinking:
water /w fruit punch MiOLast Watched:
- Tags:9gag, apartment, avengers, babies, canada, cats, children, comic books, comic con, cosplay, david bowie, deviantart, history, kickstarter, marvel comics, my cat, nick fury, photography, rights and privacy, science, sleep, space, statue, technology, tv shows, webcomics, wwii
My recent difficulty sleeping has been worsening all week. Each day I've had to manage with just a couple of hours of restless sleep, and I think it's triggered a return of my vertigo from earlier this year. Yesterday I feed the cat an hour early at 3:00pm and then went to bed, shutting my door. I somehow managed to fall asleep and slept until after midnight. It felt good to finally get that much needed rest, although I still feel tired.
Hopefully I'll be able to get back to a regular 7-8 hours daily sleep soon. ►
My friend John heard from artist Robert Atkins
. As a refresher, John arranged 2 commissioned sketches for me to be drawn by Robert. They were to be picked up at the Cincinnati comic book convention this past weekend but Robert had to cancel. It turns out he was in the hospital, although he didn't elaborate except to say it wasn't too serious. John figures he'll hear back from him again soon regarding arrangements for my drawings. I hope so!
After all the wonderful drawings John picked up for me at last weekend's convention, I had started to lose interest in Wizard World Ohio
this coming weekend. That is until I found out that Val Kilmer
was announced as a special guest for Saturday and Sunday, and would be signing autographs. I've been a fan of Kilmer's since I first saw Top Secret!
and Real Genius
as a kid watching HBO
sitting on the floor of my grandparent's TV room of their old house in Massena, New York
. That's in addition to seeing Willow
in theater with my father and younger siblings back in 1988, and Kilmer still remaining my favourite movie Batman
. It's probably silly, but I'm actually kind of excited about the possibility of John getting his autograph for me. That said I made it clear that I'm leaving it up to John to decide if the lines are too long, or things are too hectic to try.
Besides, I added a few more tradepaperbacks to the list I gave him so I'm sure I'll get a few goodies.► The Playlist: Chevy Chase Says Doing 'Community' Was A Mistake, Reveals He Turned Down 'Ghostbusters,' 'Forrest Gump,' 'Animal House' & More
- He's getting the best reviews he's had in more than 20 years on one of the most critically acclaimed shows on television, and he thinks the show
is crap and beneath him? Nice move on the backhanded compliment to his costars. I guess once the show is finished we can look forward to not seeing Chevy Chase
in 3rd tier supporting roles in excruciatingly unsuccessful movies. Despite what he says, I have to figure that his movie paychecks haven't been all that good in a long time.► EW InsideTV: Rita Wilson says no to nudity on 'Girls'. What other actresses have no-nudity contracts?
- I have to admit, at 55 I'd still like to see Rita Wilson
naked.► Geekologie: Caveman Fantasies: Betty And Wilma Cosplay
- ...can't tell if cosplay
or publicity pictures for Flintstones
parody porno...► Yahoo! Shine: Victoria's Secret Geisha Lingerie Sparks Controversy: How One Blogger Took on a Brand
- I'm sorry, but this whole thing is much ado about nothing. It's lingerie, it's all about fetishizing. Talk about getting your panties in a bunch.► 9gag: Pedestrian Crossing in China Turns Footsteps Into Leaves
- I like it, it's clever and fun interactive art. That said, I'm sure there are a lot of neighborhood businesses and residents who were pissed off at having to scrub the ink off of their floors when they got home.► ArmyTimes: Zombies a training tool at counterterror event
- Anything to keep the attendees' attention I guess. Although the article describes zombies as "violently catatonic"? Isn't that an oxymoron.► BleedingCool: What Would Be Your Reaction To Frank Miller’s Justice League?
- I can only speak for myself, but abject horror.
“What do fans think of Aquaman? He’s lame isn’t he?”
Aquaman wouldn't have remained and still be a promenent character after more than 70 years if he was "lame". That said, if Warner Bros
wants to sell Aquaman
in his own movie or as part of a Justice League
film to the general public they need to put a stop to how their own TV shows such as The Big Bang Theory
and Robot Chicken
are constantly trashing the character. All of which is based on a single cartoon series
' misrepresentation and oversimplification of the character and his powers more than 35 years ago. This would be the equivalent of the Batman
resurgence of the 90s
never happening because everyone thought the beginning and the end of Batman was the Adam West television series
Garfield Minus Garfield
Quote of the MomentJohn Patterson:
Well then you go too, you lack the courage to lead. Go! Tell all your men to go. But I will kill the lions and I will build the bridge. And you? You must go home and tell the wives of the men who died here that you fled with the others because you could not master your fear.- The Ghost and the Darkness (1996)Drinking:
water /w fruit punch MiOLast Watched:
The Avengers (2012; with and without director commentary)
- Tags:9gag, aquaman, art, artists, assholes, batman, cartoons, celebrities, comic con, controversy, cosplay, crazy, dc comics, frank miller, friends, garfield minus garfield, justice league, lingerie, military, movies, my childhood, nature, nudity, porn, racism, real genius, sleep, tv shows, val kilmer, warner bros, zombies
So yeah, it's my birthday. I'm now 36 year old and I have no idea how that happened, as I still keep thinking of myself as a 20-something kid.
Today was actually rather tough, as I haven't slept much and Stormy was on a rampage all morning trying to climb and get into everything, and generally being a brat. Dad called me this morning to wish me a happy birthday and invite me over for supper. I thanked him but declined since due to my lack of sleep I was feeling really nauseous and dizzy. Almost immediately after hanging up I called him back and accepted, figuring it'd do me some good to get out. I ended up locking the cat out of my room and managed to get a couple of hours of sleep before I had to get up and get ready to go.
I was at Dad and Claire's cottage from around 4:00pm to 10:30pm. It was a pleasant enough time, although my first act when I got there was to fix a problem with the BluRay player and TV/cable box set up in the living room. After that it was mostly just hanging out, chatting, and relaxing. Supper was roast beef, which I haven't had in a few years and was really looking forward to. I was not disappointed. Later we had chocolate cake, played Scrabble, and then Dad and I watched Young Frankenstein
I almost came home around 8:00pm, after Scrabble
and before watching the movie as I suddenly started having a panic attack and feeling nauseous again. Deciding to push myself through it, I sat down to watch the movie and eventually the nerves faded. I'm glad I stayed.
Another low key but pleasant birthday.►
It turns out there are still several vacant condo units in Dad's building. I guess this means I should be able to get a good one just as soon as I magically and miraculously win the lottery. Any day now...►
Last night I endorsed a birthday check I received from my aunt and gave it to Deana. She cashed the check and picked up The Avengers
DVD for me today and I'm really looking forward to watching it later. Come to think of it, I probably should have brought it with me to Dad's place to watch tonight, but given he hasn't seen the previous Marvel Cinematic Universe Movies
, I'm not sure if he'd have been able to follow it or not.►
Derek: how was your day?► DeviantART: Obama Riding a lion by SharpWriter
Gun: Oh, it was fine. In my Intro to Religion class, we're studing the Norse myths, and I keep thinking of Loki from the Avengers; although he didn't get impregnated by a horse in that movie.
Derek: that would have made for a much different movie
Gun: Sorry, I don't know why but I missed your IM. :-(
Derek: that's perfectly fine, that happens to me
Gun: But, yeah, Norse Mythology is pretty messed up. :-D
Derek: well all mythologies are messed up
Derek: Zeus dicking women as a bull, or a goose, or a **ahem** "golden shower"
- If only...► Doodlecraft Blogspot: Super Sci-Fi Rocket fueled Jet Pack
- It's just a piece of cardboard, 2 soda bottles, and some felt, and yet I want one.► 9gag: If Tim Burton made [sic] Avangers
- Is it just me or does Thor
totally look like Nic Cage
?► IndieWire: European Achievement in World Cinema Award Goes to Helen Mirren
- What about a lifetime achievement in sexiness? Dame Helen
still gets me hot.► Eonline News: Paris Hilton Documentary Shelved by Gay Channel Following Celebutante's Homophobic Tirade
- I think she grossly misunderstood who her
fan base is. Because I don't know of any straight men who have ever given a crap about her.► Vulture: Whitney Houston’s Family Gets a Reality Show
- Was her mailman unavailable? We've reached the point where so many irrelevant people have "reality" shows I'm wondering why I don't have one yet.►
Since it's my birthday and my LiveJournal, here are some random pics of my favourite current model on ATKhairy
Quote of the MomentDr. Frederick Frankenstein:
Let me out. Let me out of here. Get me the hell out of here. What's the matter with you people? I was joking! Don't you know a joke when you hear one? HA-HA-HA-HA. Jesus Christ, get me out of here! Open this goddamn door or I'll kick your rotten heads in! Mommy!- Young Frankenstein (1974)Drinking:
chocolate cakeLast Watched:
Young Frankenstein (1974);
- Tags:atkhairy, avengers, babes, bigotry, birthdays, blondes, celebrities, chat quotes, cool stuff, crafts, deviantart, dvds, family, full bush, games, helen mirren, lions, lottery, mythology, nicolas cage, nude pics, paris hilton, politics, reality tv, sci fi, sex, sexuality, sexy, sleep, tim burton, young frankenstein
I guess Stormy is over my yelling at him for jumping up on my night table and spilling water everywhere. This morning I woke up with him laying beside my feet. Also, for the past couple of months he does this thing where if I have my face near him he'll touch the tip of my nose with his own nose. Yesterday he didn't do it, turning away from me instead, but today he's touched noses a few times.
I have no idea what the nose thing means, but I assume it's good.►
Now that was a nice surprise! In what may be the fastest I've received items from Ebay, the 4 DVDs I bought on Thursday and which shipped Friday
arrived this morning in the mail. That's only 2 business days, but I suppose there might have been some movement of the mail or processing going on over the weekend, even if we don't receive mail on Saturdays or Sundays in Canada.
I'm definitely ordering from these seller store again!►
Derek: hmm► 9gag: Sanitary Door Opener
Derek: Amazon.ca lists a Pre-Order for the softcover version of Astro City: Shining Stars
Derek: Publisher: DC Comics (Dec 31 2035)
Derek: bit of a lengthy wait
- Now this
is brilliant, and all restaurants should have them installed.► 9gag: My friend has 6 locks on her door
- I think I saw this on an episode of MacGyver
.► 9gag: That moment of joy
- What Comic Con
is really all about. I'm surprised the kid is leaning away despite the happy grin. Or is that actually a grimace?► Ain't It Cool News: Jim Carrey Is Already Kicking Ass On The Set Of KICK-ASS 2!!
- The sagging crotch of Kick Ass
is exactly why Superman
over his costume.►
Huh... I better get the season 3 DVD
Quote of the MomentDon Stober:
If ya feel a wet snout in ya face, whatever you do, don't move. And don't kiss it back 'cause it ain't me.- Grizzly (1976)Drinking:
A&W Root Beer
- Tags:9gag, amazon, animated gifs, boobs, canada, cats, chat quotes, comic con, cool stuff, cosplay, costumes, cute, dc comics, dvds, ebay, jim carrey, kick ass, macgyver, mail, my cat, sex, superman, tradepaperbacks, tv shows
God, what a rough night and morning. I was jittery and exhausted all night but didn't finally start drifting off to sleep until around 5:30am, only to be awoken by a sudden bang at 6:00am. I spun over in bed and flicked my desk lap on to find Storm sitting atop of my night table, some items knocked over, including my previously full glass of water. Storm jumped off the table only after I started yelling at him, and then I saw how the water was everywhere. My carpet was soaked, notepad, birthday cards, box of stuff by my bed... My $120 Power Girl statue
I keep on my table was turned around, although luckily she seems all right.
My morning was shot as it took a long while to clean up the mess and try to dry stuff off. Using cotton swabs to sponge water out of the buttons on my remote controls was tedious. While I was sopping up most of the water from the carpet (which is still damp more than 12 hours later), Stormy jumped on the night table twice more. He's nothing if not persistent.
It's fairly obvious my mood was shot and I was miserable for the rest of the morning. Storm eventually got the message and stayed out of my room all day and I eventually finally fell asleep some time between 1:00pm and 2:00pm, only to wake up around 8:00pm groggy and discombobulated. I really hope jumping up onto my night table isn't going to become a regular thing, though I suppose I should count myself lucky the water didn't get onto the comic books under my table, nor onto my Scarlett Johansson Black Widow standee
which I moved last month and now stands two feet away.
KimW: Stormy just wanted to bathe you in love... or drinking water.►
Derek: I suspect it was more "pay attention to me!"
Derek: carpet is still damp
KimW: Pretty much everything cats do is "pay attention to me"
KimW: Still could have been worse.
Derek: "but don't actually touch me"
Derek: oh definitely, the glass didn't break and the water didn't get into my comics on my stand
Derek: ...yeah that'd be worse
Since I was asleep all afternoon I didn't get to talk to John, but I found an email from him when I woke up half an hour ago. There's no message but the email contains a new scan of my Batgirl
convention sketch from Thom Zahler
and a scan of the new Medusa
convention sketch from Mike Norton
. Boy, does it look swell! I love both of these pieces.
With the three convention sketches John arranged for me yesterday, we're left with just $50 of the "spending money" I sent him for the Wizard World Ohio
convention next weekend. Since I get paid at the end of the week, I'm considering sending him an additional $50 just to make it an even $100. I'm not sure how much he'd be able to get at the convention for that, but it should be enough to get a couple of cool things.► Yahoo News: This is Scary: Scientists find a way to erase frightening memories
- This just strikes me as disturbing since our memories are the building blocks of our identities and personalities. Also I'm not sure removing the memory of a traumatic event will magically erase the damage done to a person's psyche. Will forgetting what caused post-traumatic stress disorder
cure it? I don't know.
A lot of fears and phobias can be traced to childhood incidents that are long forgotten even though the fear remains, so I'm not sure it'd help any. Besides, it just sounds like a higher tech version of icepick lobotomies
. "Let's start punching holes in people's memories and see what happens!"► io9: Gaze upon the most disturbing My Little Pony ever made
- ...and I suddenly want that memory eraser thingie so I can forget seeing this Lovecraftian horror
. The Color Out of Equestria
.► Soulfun Design Inc: Party Snail
- These are cute. I have no idea what purpose if any they serve, but they're very cute.► People: Who's TV's Sexiest Man and Woman?
- I voted for Christina Hendricks of course. And, because you also had to pick a guy to vote for the women and I think he's funny, Jon Hamm. I still have not seen Mad Men.
► 9gag: My Duct Tape Art - I really like these.
► 9gag: Your teen daughter thinks you're lame regardless who you are - You just know Johnny Depp
's daughter finds her dad mortifying.► Batman Insatiable Hunger
- ...what the hell?
Quote of the MomentCaptain Phillip Laidlaw:
Get out of here save yourselves!- DeepStar Six (1989)Drinking:
- Tags:9gag, art, batgirl, batman, cats, celebrities, chat quotes, christina hendricks, comic con, cool stuff, creepy, food, friends, horror, johnny depp, lovecraft, magazines, medusa, memories, mental issues, my cat, news, odd items, phobias, power girl, science, sexy, sketches, superman, teenagers, toys, videos
Some good news and bad news came out of the 2012 Cincinnati Comic Expo for me. My friend John attended today, and sadly was unable to find any books or dolls let alone the ones on my list, and artist Robert Atkins
apparently canceled his appearance at the last minute so John wasn't able to pick up the 2 drawings we commissioned for me. He said he'll email Atkins in a couple of days and should be able to arrange to get the drawings by mail.
Those disappointments aside, John still came through and got me some great stuff. My other two pre-arranged drawings, Batgirl
by Darryl Banks
by George Perez
, were finished and picked up, and he arranged three convention sketches for me. Two of those sketches were finished today, Beachhead
by Josh Blaylock
by Thom Zahler
, and he'll pick up the third sketch, Medusa
by Mike Norton
I'm posting scans of the Darryl Banks Batgirl, George Perez Superman, and Josh Blaylock Beach Head. The Thom Zahler drawing of Batgirl and Superman
needs to be rescanned so I'll post that tomorrow when John sends me the file along with the scan for Medusa.
I can hardly wait to see what the Medusa drawing looks like tomorrow!►
KimF: Ok, thats just disturbing. Its becoming "chic" to eat Macdonalds. In India.► Newsarama: Criminally Insane: The 10 CRAZIEST Comic Book Villains
Derek: ....India has adopted irony?
Derek: India has now been converted to the scourge that is Hipsters :-(
- The shockingly graphic and violent things the Joker
has done are one thing, but I think the true measure of the character's insanity is when he does purely random and bizarre things such as when he altered the fish in Gotham to give them Joker smiles so he could trademark fish
. I miss stuff like that, but I guess DC
just wants Joker to be a slasher movie villain
now.► Daily Record: Drunk woman steals 45ft ferry while shouting 'I'm Jack Sparrow'
- Apparently she was also stoned on nightshade, and last year she stole and wrecked a double decker ferry.
Magistrates jailed her for 122 days for aggravated vehicle taking. She had denied the charge.
"It was misdeminer vehicle borrowing at best!" Aggravated vehicle taking
? Seriously?► Moviepilot: Top 5 Fiesty Hollywood Redheads!
- Sadly Emma Stone seems to have abandoned the redhead look since she filmed The Amazing Spider-Man. But yeah, Stone, Amy Adams and Christina Hendricks are all on my list, and man Jessica Chastain is fine.
► Eonline News: Dark Knight Tragedy: Shooting Victims Sue Movie Theater for Negligence - I'm not entirely sure why, but this just seems petty to me. I fail to see how an alarm on the door would have prevented the attack or even delayed it in any way. This just seems like a lawyer fueled cash-grab.
► Moone Boy Trailer - I would very much like to see this TV show
. Chris O'Dowd
is perfect in everything I've seen him in.
Quote of the MomentDonald Swan:
Hey, look! There's Superman! Taylor Donohue:
I don't want to upset you, Don, but that's a guy in a Superman outfit. Donald Swan:
Yeah, but it's a darn good one!- Comic Book: The Movie (2004)Drinking:
- Tags:amy adams, artists, batgirl, batman, beachhead, britain, chat quotes, christina hendricks, comedians, comic books, comic con, creepy, crime, food, george perez, gi joe, hipsters, legal crap, medusa, pirates of the caribbean, psycho, redheads, religion, sketches, superheroes, superheroines, superman, supervillains, trailers, videos
Usually I get to my therapy appointments 5 minutes early. Today I got there 15 minutes early, only to end up waiting almost 30 minutes before my therapist came out to get me. I'm trying to figure out if that's some kind of time inversion law.
I had a nice visit with my grandmother. She gave me a check for my birthday for $25. Oddly, she misremembered and thought my birthday was today the 21st (it's the 25th), although she dated the check the 19th. Given how many grandkids (14) and great grandkids (11) she has, getting mixed up on the dates is more than understandable.
Shortly after that she mentioned that she had found a crossword puzzle book while going through some stuff the other day. Since I regularly do crossword puzzles she wanted me to have it, although she said she had already finished a few of the puzzles. I was surprised momentarily when I got it out of a box under the end table. The book is musty smelly and yellowed, and copyrighted 1979. Damn thing is almost as old as I am. As I said, I was only momentarily surprised, cause my grandmother still has magazines from the 70s in her bedroom To Read pile.
At one point in the visit my grandmother noticed the T-shirt I was wearing, and this lead to a few awkward minutes where I tried to explain why I was wearing a shirt with a large bright pink pig
, leading into trying to explain what Pink Floyd
This past year I really slowed down on DVD purchases, buying a fraction of what I used to. In fact, I think I only bought 3 DVDs over the summer, if that, and each for $5. All of that aside, I made up for the dip in DVD purchases this September, as I've basically gone apeshit.
Walmart still had it's anniversary DVD sale display today and I picked up Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
, Cowboys & Aliens
, and Monk: Season 3
. On the way home I stopped at the bank and cashed the check from my grandmother and gave the money to Deana since she was going out, and she picked up Monk: Season 1
and Monk: Season 2
for me. I love the show, and it was hard to pass them up since they were so heavily discounted. Now I just need to get Season 8
and I'll have the entire series
, although there's no rush on that.►
Given how insanely huge my DVD collection has gotten over the past couple of years, I'm now seriously considering buying two or three big 300+ disc binders. If I put half of my DVD discs in the binders I can clear up a hell of a lot of space in my room. The only issue is what to do about the cases. Do I box them, or throw the cases out and only save the cover slips? I'm not sure. Given my obsessive compulsive disorder and collector mentality, this has actually been bothering me. That said, I do think it's a good idea.► Nedroid Fun Times: My sales strategy for SPX this weekend
- Marketing is everything.► 9gag: You Wouldn't Download a Butt
- Clearly they haven't seen my porn folder.
Dran: The hell does that even MEAN?► 9gag: Details in the chair
Derek: I've no idea
- I'm guessing the upholstery isn't original.► 9gag: Hero pig rescues baby goat from drowning
- While the human lets the baby goat drown so they can record it.► C-Section Comics: The Daily Douche (This is how too many newspapers look like lately)
- Actually, I thought all British newspapers were like that.► Huffington Post: Michael Caine Impersonates Michael Caine (VIDEO)
- Michael Caine
Quote of the MomentGroup of sheep:
Four legs good, two legs bad. Four legs good, two legs bad.- Animal Farm (1954)Drinking:
- Tags:1970s, 9gag, animals, birthdays, butts, celebrities, chat quotes, dvds, family, furniture, harrison ford, impressions, johnny depp, money, musicians, news, obsessive compulsive, pink, pirates of the caribbean, porn, royals, sci fi, t-shirts, tv shows, videos, webcomics, westerns
I'm not sure how much of it is Stormy getting closer to me, or whether I'm just the warmest thing in the apartment available to him since the temperature dropped, but for the past week he's been sleeping with me a lot. When I woke up today I was surprised to discover him curled up atop of my groin. After awhile he moved down to my thighs, then to my side and eventually he laid at my feet. I thought it was really cute.
Yesterday morning he hid behind Deana's new potted plants with just his head sticking up from behind, staring at me. As I started staring back he repeatedly winked his right eye at me. This went on for a couple of minutes, Stormy winking at me and my winking back at him. I've never seen a cat wink. Again, very cute.
I like this little guy. ►
Last night I found a seller on Ebay based in Montreal that has a crap load of DVDs with Free Shipping. I found a few I've been wanting that can't find locally and that are more expensive from other sellers. After spending the night going through the thousands of titles, I ended up picking 4 that have been on my Must Get list for awhile, and I ordered them this morning.
The movies are:
► Tucker & Dale vs Evil (2010)
► Monsters (2010)
► The Winning Season (2009)
► The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai (1984)
Given that the seller is based only an hour away, I'm hoping it means I'll get the DVDs by the middle of next week (it would be a nice birthday present to myself if they arrive on Tuesday). That's probably only possible if they ship tomorrow.► ComicArtFans: Women of the X-Men ft. Phoenix, Emma, Pyslocke, Kitty, Storm, and Rogue by Greg Horn (full colored print)
- From chat:
Derek: oh, that's nice► SMBC: Truth about Pac Man
Derek: though Jean looks too blonde
Derek: "And they all died of pneumonia"
Dran: Except Storm
now terrifies me...► 9gag: A soldier and his squirrel
- That's a cute story. I wonder, is that a European squirrel? I've never seen squirrels with ears that prominent before.► Jacqueline Lou Skaggs: Tondi observations
- Incredible oil paintings painted onto pennies.► Martin Klimas gallery
- I think the porcelain figure photos are pretty neat.► Daily Shot: Controversial Magazine and Fashion Photos
- Is this a new photo of Stephanie Seymour
or one from her 90s heyday, because she looks really young in this. Also, I think this is much ado about nothing as Seymour does not appear in distress in the photo. At most, Vogue
is guilty of jumping on the 50 Shades of Grey
bandwagon.► Eonline News: Scarlett Johansson's Cat Nip: Star to Headline Cat on a Hot Tin Roof Broadway Revival
- I wonder how many others were disappointed to find that the article isn't about Scarlett Johansson
's nipples.► Our Valued Customers: To his friend...
- I still want a Superman
cape, and I'm going to be 36.
Quote of the MomentDoc:
Before we go... let us remember our code. Let us strive every moment of our lives to make ourselves better and better to the best of our abilities so that all may profit by it. Let us think of the right and lend our assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let us take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let us be considerate of our country, our fellow citizens, and our associates in everything we say and do. Let us do right to all - and wrong no man.- Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (1975)Drinking:
Canada Dry Ginger AleLast Watched:
The Lonely Guy (1984); Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982); Columbo (1968 – 1978; 2 episodes); Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law: Vol 2 (DVD set);
- Tags:animals, art, babes, batman, boobs, casting, chat quotes, comicartfans, controversy, costumes, creepy, cute, dvds, horror, jean grey, lovecraft, magazines, mail, models, money, monsters, movies, my cat, photography, sam rockwell, scarlett johansson, sci fi, sexuality, sleep, spoofs, statue, stephanie seymour, superheroes, superman, theatre, video games, webcomics, women, x-men
Overall I think I've handled having a cat pretty well, given my obsessive compulsive disorder. That said, I really could do without Stormy's occasionally kicking or dropping poop outside of his litter box. ►
This morning I received a phone call from my disability pension caseworker. She had gone over my receipts I brought in last week and I will be getting an increase in my pension, a whopping $15. My share of the rent increase alone is $12.50, so it seems a little light given the jump in gas and electricity. But ah well, beggars can't be choosers. Also, because the cut off date for changes to pensions was yesterday and my file was updated today, this means I have to wait until the end of October before I receive the increase. Of course.
Incidentally, I found out that the most I can get for "shelter" (rent, gas and electricity) as part of my pension is such that I would never be able to afford to rent an apartment on my own. So that was disheartening.
Back to wishing on stars in the night sky for a lottery win.► MotherJones: SECRET VIDEO: Romney Tells Millionaire Donors What He REALLY Thinks of Obama Voters
- I have to give kudos to Mitt Romney
for taking a bold position in his candidacy for President. Most people would think it a bad idea to publicly declare you'll ignore and also openly deride almost half of your constituents. He said everything but "Fuck the poor, I'm here for the rich!"► GrindTV: Fisherman adrift for 106 days in Pacific says shark led him to rescuers
- A shark that helped save a drifting fisherman. It must have been a filthy socialist.► [Blogspot] Dubblebaby: City of Batmans
- Maybe Gotham
would finally be ride of crime.► 9gag: I just can't draw what I think.
- This is why I stopped drawing several years ago. After 8 years without drawing I no longer seem to know how.► 9gag: Found this in the doctor's office
- I always think of Number 10 on the pain chart as the point where I'm curled on the floor screaming and crying in agony begging for sweet merciful death. That horribly infected abscessed tooth I had in September 1997 was a number 10.► The Hollywood Reporter: 'Manimal' TV Series Being Turned Into Movie at Sony Pictures Animation (Exclusive)
- Remaking something that wasn't successful to see if you can make it successful and get it to work seems like a much better idea to me than taking something that already was successful and making a watered down inferior version. But then, I'm technically crazy.► [Cheezburger] Pundit Kitchen: People Take Carbonated Sugar Water Way Too Seriously
- Wow, I'll say.
Quote of the MomentJackson 'Jack' Durant:
Oh,I've been stupid, very stupid. Gertie Waxted:
Of course. You're a man.- Penthouse (1933)Drinking:
A&W Root BeerWatching:
The Lonely Guy (1984)Last Watched:
Columbo (1968 – 1978; random episodes)
- Tags:9gag, animals, apartment, batman, crazy, doctors, drawing, gross things, idiots, mental issues, money, my cat, news, pain, pension stuff, politics, religion, remakes, science, teeth, tv shows, webcomics